Many homes in Delta Township were constructed prior to the availability of the Township water system in their area. These homes utilize private water wells to supply their drinking water. When a connection to the Township water system becomes available, and a home is connected, the existing well must be plugged. Delta Township’s Code of Ordinances requires the mandatory plugging of wells at the time of connection to the Township water system. The proper plugging of abandoned wells is critical for protecting the groundwater aquifer from sources of contamination because all of Delta Township’s water is supplied from a common aquifer.
Well-plugging must be completed by a licensed well driller, in accordance with the State of Michigan and local health department requirements. All costs associated with well-plugging are the responsibility of the property owner. However, in 2006, the Delta Township Board of Trustees adopted a Resolution creating a program to provide financial assistance to homeowners to ensure wells are properly plugged. The program provides assistance of 50% of the cost to plug a well, up to $600.
The process for obtaining financial assistance for plugging a well in Delta Township is as follows:
- Submit a $600 deposit to Delta Township Accounting Department at the time of connection to the Delta Township Water System
- Obtain a quote from a State of Michigan licensed well driller (see link below) to properly plug and abandon the water well
- Notify Delta Township Engineering Department by email at email@example.com or by phone at 517-323-8240 the intent to have well plugged by the licensed well driller and provide a copy of the quote
- Complete the well-plugging per State of Michigan and Barry-Eaton District Health Department requirements
- Submit copies of well driller invoice and well-plugging record to Delta Township Engineering Department
- Delta Township pays well driller
- If the invoiced amount exceeds $1,200 (maximum $600 financial assistance + $600 deposit), Delta Township invoices the property owner for the difference
Property owners should contact the Delta Township Engineering Department at 517-323-8540 for more information.
Additional information from the Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy (EGLE) regarding abandoned wells/well plugging and licensed well drillers can be found at the links below.
EGLE Info on Abandoned Water Wells
Abandoned Water Wells
Directory of Michigan Registered Water Well Drilling and Pump Installation Contractors
directory of contractors
Delta Township Well-Plugging Ordinance
Delta Township Board Resolution approving Homeowners Financial Assistance for the Cost of Plugging Wells
Do you have an idea, question or comment for the Township? Let us know!
Lansing MI 48917
Fax: (517) 323-8599
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.