At the beginning of each fiscal year, the Township Board reviews and updates the Strategic Plan for Delta Township. The strategic plan is the focus of management for the township.
Strategic planning is a management tool. As with any management tool, it is used for one purpose only: to help an organization do a better job – to focus its energy, to ensure that members of the organization are working toward the same goals, to assess and adjust the organization’s direction in response to a changing environment. In short, strategic planning is a disciplined effort to produce fundamental decisions and actions that shape and guide what an organization is, what it does, and why it does it, with a focus on the future.
Although many use these terms interchangeably, strategic planning and long-range planning differ in their emphasis on the “assumed” environment. Long-range planning is generally considered to mean the development of a plan for accomplishing a goal or set of goals over a period of several years, with the assumption that current knowledge about future conditions is sufficiently reliable to ensure the plan’s reliability over the duration of its implementation.
On the other hand, strategic planning assumes that an organization must be responsive to a dynamic, changing environment (not the more stable environment assumed for long-range planning). Strategic planning, then, stresses the importance of making decisions that will ensure the organization’s ability to successfully respond to changes in the environment.
I. Economic Development
- To improve the appearance and encourage redevelopment of the Saginaw Highway Corridor – 1 year
- To improve the mix of businesses by attracting quality businesses – 3 year
- To improve the exterior facades of commercial buildings – 1 year
- To reduce vacancy rates – 3 year
- To continue to maintain Broadbent Road as the west commercial boundary – 1 year, on-going
- To further improve traffic flow and safety – 5 year
- To continue to maintain an attractive industrial area which provides a solid tax base and employment opportunities – 5 year
- Continue to place high priority on business retention
- Continue to be actively engaged with LEAP, MEDC, local realtors & private developers to attract and promote businesses
- Evaluate and review current codes & update as appropriate
- Maintain attractive housing stock according to our property maintenance code.
- Continue to implement recommendations of the Comprehensive Master Plan
II. Community Identity/Involvement Neighborhoods
- To take a proactive approach regarding property maintenance code compliance and enforcement – 1 year
- To encourage owner-occupied housing in single family neighborhoods – 3 year
- To continue to expand multi-modal transportation opportunities – 3 year
- To continue to encourage and maintain the character of residential neighborhoods – 1 year
- Pro-actively enforce property maintenance code compliance
- Continue to have a stringent rental inspection program
- Budget for pathways, sidewalks, bike lanes, etc.
- Acknowledge the good and encourage improvements whenever feasible
- Implement and enforce traffic calming measures
III. Good Governance
- To continue efforts to effectively communicate with our residents through various modes (website, social media, publications) – 1 year
- To improve ways to disseminate Delta’s story (year end report in calendar form, dashboard, etc.) – 3 year
- To continue to expand and improve customer service and transparency – 1 year, on-going
- To explore improvements to the delivery of county services available to Delta Township residents – 3 year, on-going
- To continue to participate in efforts to promote regionalism and explore collaborative solutions to better serve our residents – 3 year, on-going
- To convey a commitment to consider environmental impacts of all Township activities – 5 year, on-going
- To improve communication with Eaton County to enhance services to the residents – 1 year
- To continue to be aware of economic trends and react appropriately – 5 year
- To ensure a collaborative government structure and staff skills, which will provide for fiscal integrity, efficiency, and excellent services for our residents. – 3 year
- To continue sound fiscal policies – 1 year, on-going
- Keep website current and user friendly
- Feature businesses on our website
- Continue dialog with the County to establish the provision of services to Delta Township residents
- Enhance staff’s awareness of environmental issues
- Ensure adequate training and continued professional development of staff in all areas
- Continue to hire the best qualified candidates
IV. Identity & Branding
- To develop effective ways to brand Delta Township – 1 year
- To create a sense of identity for Delta Township – 3 year
- Develop a branding campaign which would include bumper stickers, magnets, banners, t-shirts, etc. Roll-out at annual Community Awards event
- Improve the Welcome Sign area, making it more attractive and visible
- Place I AM DELTA banners on light poles along Saginaw Highway as well as in all of our Twp. owned parking lots
- Continue to devote staff resources to & promote community events such as Delta Rocks! Family Festival, Fireworks, Community Awards, etc.
V. Parks & Paths
- To continue implementation of the Parks Master Plan – 3 year
- To prioritize funding for implementing projects in the non-motorized transportation plan – 3 year
- To continue to support community events that attracts families to the township’s recreational facilities – 1 year, on-going
- Fund and/or fund raise to support Delta Rocks! Family Festival, July 3rd Fireworks, and Community Awards event
- Continue dialog with the City of Lansing with regard to Grand Woods Park
- Conduct Study to guide future parks improvements
- Provide an annual plan of implementation of the Non-Motorized Transportation Plan to the Township Board
- To continue to support the delivery of excellent public safety services – 1 year
- To explore and expand public transportation options and promote their use – 3 year
- To continue to communicate with the Eaton County Road Commission to collaboratively identify road projects – 5 year
- To continue to monitor current and future demands for water and sanitary sewer – on-going
- To continue to use the Township’s CIP process for infrastructure planning – on-going
- Establish performance standards to ensure continued excellent services in fire and police services.
- Work with state and regional officials to develop a long-term public transportation plan for Delta Township as well as for the Region.
- Expand dialog with Eaton County Road Commission with regard to multi-modal transportation.