In 1952, due to the number of major fires that took place in the Millett section of Delta Township, a group of concerned citizens rallied together to raise funds through auctions, garage sales, and special projects to construct the volunteer fire station that was erected in 1953. John Love became the first fire chief.
In 1956, Delta Township built a fire station on the corner of Saginaw Hwy. and Canal Rd. and Dexter Rueckert became Delta Township’s first full-time fire chief. The Millett fire station then became “Station No. 2″ and its members became part of the Delta Township Fire Department. Several expansions took place through the years at Fire Station No. 1 and, in 1979, a new and larger Millett Fire Station was built on Old Lansing Rd. and continues to serve the residents of that area.
Realizing the need for a fire station on the east side of Delta Township due to a growing population, the Township built a new three-bay fire station with offices, living and sleeping quarters on Snow Rd. across from the Waverly High School in 1990. This full-time fire station houses an engine, two ambulances, a boat and several special response units.
In 2003, a new Central Fire Station was built just north of Fire Station No. 1 on Canal Rd. The old, original fire station was razed and today, the new Central Fire Station houses the department’s administrative offices, fire prevention bureau, training facility,Emergency Operations Center (EOC), and living and sleeping quarters for full-time personnel. The new Central Fire Station is strategically located to ensure quick access to the I-96 freeway and to serve the hotel district, many apartment complexes and the senior citizen facilities on the west side of Delta Township. This full-time station houses the department’s heavy rescue unit, a 100′ aerial platform, two engines, two ambulances, a three-thousand-gallon tanker, an air/cascade truck, a boat, a brush truck, special operations and hazardous material unit, foam trailer, and a light unit.
Currently, the fire department has six administrative staff, 32 full-time firefighter/paramedics, and 11 part-time firefighters.