Corridor Improvement Authority (CIA)
Documents for Download
The Corridor Improvement Authority (CIA) act, Public Act 57 of 2018, Part 6, is designed to assist communities with funding improvements in commercial corridors. Delta Township wishes to utilize the CIA to revitalize the Saginaw Highway Corridor from Broadbent to Waverly Road by providing assistance for public improvements to attract new development and projects and studies to help with redevelopment.
What is Proposed in Delta Township?The intent to create a Corridor Improvement Authority. The Delta Township Board on February 15, 2021, declared its intent to establish a Corridor Improvement Authority on Saginaw Highway from Broadbent to Waverly Road.
WHEREAS, the Township has identified an area within the Township which it proposes be designated an authority corridor improvement development area; and
WHEREAS, in order to comply with the requirements of the Act, the Township Board wishes to express its intent to establish a corridor improvement authority and designate the boundaries of an authority corridor improvement development area, to determine certain criteria required by the Act are met with respect to the proposed authority corridor improvement development area and to set a public hearing regarding the establishment of the authority and designation of the development area; therefore
That the Township Board intends to establish the Saginaw Highway Corridor Improvement Authority (the “Authority”) pursuant to the Act; and
That the Township Board further intends to establish an Authority corridor improvement development area to include all property within the boundaries identified in the attached Exhibit A (the “Development Area”); and
That with respect to the Development Area the following criteria, as required by the Act, are met:
- Is adjacent to or is within 500 feet of a road classified as an arterial or collector according to the Federal Highway Administration manual "Highway Functional Classification - Concepts, Criteria and Procedures".
- Contains at least 10 contiguous parcels or at least 5 contiguous acres.
- More than 1/2 of the existing ground floor square footage in the development area is classified as commercial real property under section 34c of the general property tax act, 1893 PA 206, MCL 211.34c.
- Residential use, commercial use, or industrial use has been allowed and conducted under the zoning ordinance or conducted in the entire development area, for the immediately preceding 30 years.
- Is presently served by municipal water or sewer.
- Is zoned to allow for mixed-use that includes high-density residential use.
- The municipality agrees to all of the following:
- To expedite the local permitting and inspection process in the development area.
- To modify its master plan to provide for walkable nonmotorized interconnections, including sidewalks and streetscapes throughout the development area.
That a public hearing will be held on Monday, March 15, 2021, at 6:00 p.m. at the Delta Township Hall (Zoom information to be provided), to consider the establishment of the Authority and the designation of the Development Area; and
That in accordance with the Act, notice of the public hearing shall be given by
publication of a notice of public hearing twice in Lansing State Journal, a newspaper of general circulation in the City, not less than 20 days, nor more than 40 days before the hearing,
mailing a notice of public hearing by first-class mail to
the property taxpayers of record in the proposed Development Area,
the governing body of each taxing jurisdiction levying taxes within the proposed Development Area and
the Michigan State Tax Commission not less than 20 days before the hearing and
posting notice of the public hearing in at least 20 conspicuous and public places in the proposed Qualified Development Area at least 20 days before the hearing.”
Do you have an idea, question or comment for the Township? Let us know!
Lansing MI 48917
Fax: (517) 323-8599
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.