The Parks and Recreation Department will offer an eight-week instructional program this winter. It will stress fundamentals and fun. Separate boys’ and girls’ teams will be made if possible. Coed teams may be necessary depending on registration numbers. Teams will be separated into age groups of 5-6, 7-8 and 9-10 and then formed by school whenever possible.
- Register online by clicking here
- 2017 Basketball Registration Form
- Saturdays, January 9-February 27, 2016
- Ages 5-10 as of January 9, 2016
- Deadline to register: December 4, 2015
- $40 Residents/$45 Non-Residents ($10 late fee if space permits after December 4, 2015 deadline)
- $15 for youth shirt if needed (a shirt is required for the program, but children may already have them from a previous sport)
- Locations: Waverly East Intermediate School Gymnasium
- Weather Cancellation Number: 323-8555
Practices and Games
Practices and games will be held on Saturdays within a one-hour time block. Each day will have warm-ups and stretching for the first few minutes, then the next approximately 20-30 minutes will be drills, then a game. Ages 5-8 use an 8-foot 6-inch basket height and ages 9-10 use the regulation 10-foot. All ages use an intermediate-sized ball which is slightly smaller than regulation. Referees/coaches are high school or college students that we hire. Many of them have participated in this program in the past. Participants are given name tags each week and participation certificates at the end of the season.
The 5/6 year old group is coed. The 7/8 and 9/10 year old groups are separate boys and girls teams. Children are separated by age and teams are formed by school when possible. Siblings will automatically be placed together if they are in the same age group. No guarantees on team assignments are made. Registrations that are accepted after the deadline will be subject to a $10 late fee. After the deadline parents may call to find out if registrations are still being accepted in a particular age group. Late registrations will be placed on the team with the lowest number of players in order to fill that team’s roster. If an age group is full, a waiting list may be kept in case someone drops out.